Functionally graded material (FGM) is a class of advanced materials which have dual phases composition with uniformly varying material properties in preassigned directions to give rise composite materials which have high performance and multifunctionality. In this presentation the basic concepts, rules for assessment of material properties gradation and applications fields are brief described. Then two different topics involving the FGM, corresponding to two different observation scales are considered. The first one considers elastic explicit solutions for solids in which the FGM (coating, interlayers, …) permits to improve the elastic response of the composite structure in comparison with the use of homogeneous materials (multilayers, coatings…). In the framework of the elasticity theory some solutions are selected and presented to highlight the effect of graded materials. These solutions can be useful as benchmarks for numerical approaches or to material scientists in the tailoring of FGM by choosing material combination and the gradation technique according to application. The second one concerns the study of a micromechanical models to predict elastic properties in particulate composite with spherical solid or hollow inclusions with FGM coating useful to increase the performance in nanocomposites. Expressions in closed-form to obtain the bulk and shear modulus using Hashin’s approach are presented and parametric investigations performed to contribute to the validation of the experimental tests to evaluate the elastic properties in particulate composites. Pour plus d'informations, merci de contacter Wagner-kocher C.
References of the lecturer on FGM
1. Sburlati, R., Bardella, L. (2011) Three-dimensional elastic solutions for functionally graded circular plates, European Journal of Mechanics-A/Solids 30(3), 219-235, doi:10.1016/j.euromechsol.2010.12.008, Elsevier Ltd., Exeter, U.K. (ISSN: 0997-7538).
2. Sburlati R. (2012) An axisymmetric elastic analysis for circular sandwich panels with functionally graded cores. Composites Part B: Engineering 43, 1039-1044, doi:10.1016/j.compositesb.2011.10.006, Elsevier Ltd., Exeter, U.K. (ISSN: 1359-8368).
3. Sburlati R. (2012) Elastic solution in a functionally graded coating subjected to a concentrated force. Journal of Mechanics of Materials and Structures 7 (4), 401-412, doi: 10.2140/jomms.2012.7.401, Mathematical Sciences Publishers, Berkeley, U.S.A. (ISSN 1559-3959).
4. Sburlati R. (2012) Analytical elastic solutions for pressurized hollow cylinders with internal functionally graded coatings. Composite Structures 94 (12), 3592-3600, doi:10.1016/j.compstruct.2012.05.018, Elsevier Ltd., Exeter, U.K. (ISSN: 0263-8223).
5. Hosseini-Hashemi, Sh., Salehipour, H., Atashipour, S.R., Sburlati, R. (2013) On the exact in-plane and out-of-plane free vibration analysis of thick functionally graded rectangular plates: explicit 3-D elastic solutions, Composites Part B: Engineering 46 (1), 108-115, doi:10.1016/j.compositesb.2012.10.008, Elsevier Ltd., Exeter, U.K. (ISSN: 1359-8368).
6. Sburlati, R., Atashipour, S.R., Hosseini-Hashemi, Sh. (2013) Study on the effect of functionally graded coating layers on elastic deformation of a thick circular plate: a closed-form elasticity solution, Composite Structures 99(1),131-140, doi:10.1016/j.compstruct.2012.10.042, Elsevier Ltd., Exeter, U.K. (ISSN: 0263-8223).
7. Sburlati, R. (2013) Stress concentration factor due to a functionally graded ring around a hole in an isotropic plate, International Journal of Solids and Structures 50, 3649-3658, doi:10.1016/j.ijsolstru.2013.07.007, Elsevier Ltd., Exeter, U.K. (ISSN: 0263-8223).
8. Sburlati, R., Atashipour, S.R., Atashipour, S.A. (2014) Reduction of the stress concentration factor in a homogeneous panel with hole by using a functionally graded layer, Composites Part B: Engineering 61, 99-109, doi:10.1016/j.compositesb.2014.01.036, Elsevier Ltd., Exeter, U.K. (ISSN: 1359-8368).
9. Atashipour, S.A., Sburlati, R., Atashipour, S.R. (2014) Elastic analysis of thick-walled pressurized spherical vessels coated with functionally graded materials, Meccanica 42(12), 2965-2978, doi:10.1007/s11012-014-0047-2 (online from 5 September 2014), Springer (ISSN: 00256455).
10. Sburlati, R. (2014) Three-Dimensional Analyses of Functionally Graded Multi-Layered Systems, Procedia Engineering, 88, 235-241, doi:10.1016/j.proeng.2014.11. Elsevier (ISSN: 1877-7058).
11. Sburlati, R., Atashipour, S.R., Atashipour, S.A. (2015) Exact elastic analysis of a doubly coated thick circular plate using functionally graded interlayers, Archive of Applied Mechanics 85, 1779-1792, doi:10.1007/s00419-015-1018-3 (online from 5 may 2015), Springer (ISSN: 1432-0681).
12. Sburlati, R., Cianci, R. (2015) Interphase zone effect on the spherically symmetric elastic response of a composite material reinforced by spherical inclusions, International Journal of Solids and Structures 71, 91-98, doi:10.1016/j.ijsolstr.2015.06.010 (online from 18 June 2015), Elsevier Ltd., Exeter, U.K. (ISSN: 0020-7683).
13. Atashipour, S.A., Sburlati, R. (2016) Electro-elastic analysis of a coated spherical piezoceramic sensor, Composite Structures 156, 399-409, doi: 10.1016/j.compstruct.2015.07.012 (online from 13 July 2015), Elsevier Ltd., Exeter, U.K. (ISSN: 0263-8223).
14. Sburlati, R., Kashtalyan, M. (2016) Elasticity analysis of sandwich pipes with functionally graded interlayers, European Journal of Mechanics-A/Solids 59, 232-241, doi:10.1016/j.euromechsol.2016.03.012 (online from 22 March 2016), Elsevier Ltd., Exeter, U.K. (ISSN: 0997-7538).
15. Sburlati, R., Monetto, I. (2016) Effect of an inhomogeneous interphase zone on the bulk modulus of a particulate composite containing spherical inclusions, Composites Part B: Engineering 97, 309-316, doi: 10.1016/j.compositesb.2016.04.038 (online from 27 April 2016), Elsevier Ltd., Exeter, U.K. (ISSN: 1359-8368).
16. Sburlati, R., Kashtalyan, M. and Cianci, R. (2017) Effect of graded interphase on the coefficient of thermal expansion for composites with spherical inclusions, International Journal of Solids and Structures 110-111, 80-88, doi: 10.1016/j.ijsolstr.2017.02.001 (online from 3 February 2017), Elsevier Ltd., Exeter, U.K. (ISSN: 0020-7683).
17. Sburlati, R., Cianci, R. and Kashtalyan, M. (2018) Hashin's bounds for elastic properties of particle-reinforced composites with graded interphase, International Journal of Solids and Structures 138, 224-235, doi: 10.1016/j.ijsolstr.2018.01.015 (online from 11 January 2018), Elsevier Ltd., Exeter, U.K. (ISSN: 0020-7683).
18. Sburlati, R., Kashtalyan, M. (2019) Graded Insulation to Improve High Pressure Resistance in Deepwater Flowlines: a Closed Form Analytical Elastic Solution, New Achievements in Continuum Mechanics and Thermodynamics, Advanced Structured Materials 108, Chapter 29, 433-446, https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-13307-8_29.
19. Sburlati, R., Cianci, R. (2020) Shear modulus prediction of a particulate composite reinforced with hollow spheres surrounded by a graded interphase, Composite Structures 250, 112528, doi: 10.1016/j.compstruct.2020.112528 Elsevier Ltd., Exeter, U.K. (ISSN: 0263-8223).